Friday, July 11, 2008

Distressing Damsels or Damsels in Distress

Distressing Damsels or Damsels in Distress


When I first heard this line in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, I laughed. It was humorous as I had watched the first two films as well and I knew for a fact that Elizabeth, the heroine, was constantly in distress and causing others to be in distress. However, as I’ve thought about it more, I’ve realized how much we can be this way. We can be either the “damsel in distress” who relies upon her man— whether it be Dad or husband— to rescue her from her plight or we can be the damsel who distresses everybody around her; the one who wants her way and does it her way, causing others to work around her. In addition, damsels in distress can be just as distressing if they’re silly and getting into trouble unnecessarily, but these of course are technically the distressing damsels. What are you?

The best Scripture verse that backs up my thoughts on this is Titus 2:4-5. “That they [older women] may teach the young women to be sober [not distressing], to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed.”

There is also Proverbs 9:13, “A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple and knoweth nothing.” Talk about a serious “ouch!” moment.

So, my point is that there are two different types of women: distressing damsels (those who are causing others distress [an antonym of peace]) and damsels in distress (those who allow men to practice their masculine duties as protector). What will you be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post... I've often thought about that. I actually got to talk about that a little in my english class a few weeks back. It was an online assignment, asking what we felt our place in the universe to be. As a Christian , that was fairly simple to answer... our place is to glorify God. I then went into more detail on what my place is a little more specifically... that of a supporter, the encourager... the one who stands behind and urges on the fearless leader who is up there taking the punches.