Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hadassah

Title: Hadassah
Author: Tommy Tenney
Publisher: Bethany House
Genre: History, Fiction, Romance, Adventure, Adult
Rating: * * * * * (out of five)
Summary: In this beautifully innovative and descriptive novel, you will follow the life of Hadassah, the girl who became Queen Esther, from the age of a very young girl all the way to her life after Xerxes’ death. Although most of it is fiction, it does not stray very far from real-life.

For once, I have enjoyed a romance novel. Usually, romance does not do anything for me, but Hadassah deals more with real, human emotions, rather than a mushy romantic situation. Granted, it is talked about on a physical level as well as emotional. But if you are mature enough to handle it (I’d say a mature 12 or 13 year old or a normal 14 year old could read it), I highly recommend reading it. It shows a natural, healthy romance with a correct frame of mind. Another thing I highly recommend is having your mom read it or at least telling her about it. My mom discussed the topics with me, even though we had already discussed them before.

There are lots of eunuchs, and when I say a lot, I mean a lot. If that sort of thing bothers you, do not read this book. It is not intensely graphic, but one of the main characters is tragically forced into being a eunuch. Once again, mature people can easily handle it.

The one plot I want to touch on is the adventure. I absolutely adored it. It wasn’t too heavy or boring but it was exciting and touching.

Definitely a five-star book for me. Any girl at least 14 and up should read it at some point.

No comments: